I don’t know if pancakes became romantic after Jack Johnson wrote that song or if they’ve always had a sweet, “linger and enjoy” type of call to them, but either way- I think pancakes are just perfect for a romantic breakfast.
My hubby and I have enjoyed pancakes for breakfast on Valentine’s Day for a few years now, but they’ve been making an appearance much for frequently these days thanks to this delicious recipe!
These fluffy beauties make their way to our table at least twice a month, sometimes even for dinner. (Ain’t no shame in having breakfast for dinner!)
The original recipe is pretty perfect on its own, but I love tinkering with things to make it a lil more me.
To give it a Savoring Joy spin we:
- ALWAYS double it (make once eat 2-3xs at its finest)
- Use honey instead of sugar
- Add 1 scoop of protein powder (or 2 TBS collagen), 1 TBS fiber
- Our favorite is to add a sprinkle of cinnamon along with blueberries and sliced bananas.
- When I’m feeling fancy, I use almond extract instead of vanilla.
YUM! All that to say, this recipe is highly adaptable. I’ve had good success with almond milk, coconut milk, and breastmilk. (JUST KIDDING!) Wanted to see if anyone’s reading these little details 😉 What I really meant is cow’s milk works great, too. You really can’t go wrong.
In honor of Valentines Day, I decided to add chocolate chips to the pancakes and pair with a raspberry sauce. Oh, and totally used some cutesy heart cookie cutters to make em in true Valentine’s Day fashion. <3