It all started with this jar of cranberry juice chilling in my fridge. Cranberry juice is not something I can just grab and guzzle. It’s just WAY. TOO. tart. Especially this brand that uses pure cranberries.
I love this brand for that reason of purity- no added sugar or junk. BUT, it’s pretty unappealing to just drink straight.
Enter gelatin and the idea of making some cranberry jello!
Oh, YES indeed!
When I bought my first container of grass-fed gelatin I scoured over Pinterest for anything and everything that uses gelatin. Seriously, check out my Pinterest board devoted to gelatin. I promise it will not disappoint.
But I wanted to have a little flavor play so I made a few different varieties (ok, more than a few… FIVE different varieties). And I’m stoked to share all 5 of them with you! Here’s how to make em:
For pure cranberry jello-
- Use Tiffany’s recipe but sub pure cranberry juice for the coconut water and add one extra TBS of honey to help balance out the tartness of the cranberry.
- This is your base for the other 4 flavors.
For cranberry and pear jello-
- Add 1 pear, chopped, to the pure cranberry jello before cooling/setting in the fridge.
For cranberry almond jello-
- Add 1 TBS almond extract & ¼-½ cup of slivered almonds to the pure cranberry jello base before cooling.
For a chocolate chip cranberry jello-
- add ½ cup chocolate chips to the pure cranberry jello before setting in the fridge to cool.
For cranberry jello layered in chocolate-
- Make and cool your pure cranberry jello completely.
- Melt about ½ cup chocolate chips with ¼ cup coconut oil and a splash of vanilla extract.
- Pour melted chocolate on top of cooled and set jello.
- Place back in the fridge to get a nice crisp chocolate layer.
I had 5 people taste test and each of them had a different favorite, so ALL of these varieties are good!!
But honestly, the best is the chocolate layered one… in my opinion 😉 And it’s totally worthy of a Valentine’s Day treat! So ENJOY!!
I’m curious… are you a plain jello type of person or a “I like chunks of toppings in my jello” type of person? Because there is definitely two types of people. Which are you?